Interviews can be very stressful. A good interview can mean the difference between getting that job or not.
Here are ten tips to help you have a successful interview.
- Research the company that you are interviewing with. This reasserts that you are interested in working for them and serious about the job you are applying for.
- Come up with a short list of questions to ask the interviewer. Again this shows your interest. It also aids with conversation and allows you some control in the interview.
- Review your resume and know your work history. That way you won’t be fumbling when an employer asks you about specific information listed in your resume.
- Listen to the interviewer. This will help you to not be distracted during the interview.
- Stay focused and calm. Just be yourself. If you’re not a fit for the company, then they’re probably not a fit for you and you wouldn’t enjoy working for them. If nothing else, you had a learning experience.
- Engage in conversation. This can help to calm your nerves and show how personable you can be.
- Have friends and family help you to practice interviewing. Being prepared can only help you. Practicing can build your confidence and make you more relaxed.
- Dress for success. This will make a good impression and can make the difference between being hired or not.
- If you have contacts at the company you are applying with, use them. This can help you build rapport with the employer. Sometimes it is who, not what, you know.
- Take the time to send a thank you letter after your interview. This reaffirms your seriousness in working for the company. And it’s just polite.